K6 is an open-source framework for implementing load testing
K6 tests work well when run within a CI-CD pipeline or on a schedule.
K6 does not use the V8 Engine engine and is not nodejs based.
- therefore we can't import node modules into our K6 script
K6 scripts can be made in several ways:
- K6 test builder - In the K6 UI, create the test with an endpoint
- K6 recorder - with a browser extension, simply record the actions by clicking through your application's UI.
- converter - generate K6 scripts from HAR files, Postman collections, OpenAPI specifications
- tip: use VSCode extension
- The default export of the script is the entrypoint for the virtual users (VUs), similar to
main()of other programming languages.
- code inside this function runs over and over as long as the load test is running, while the other functions are init functions that only run once per VU.
- all variables must be prefixed with
K6_(can be added in the CI-CD tool UI, like Gitlab)
.jsfiles work best